Meet Our Professionals
Rabbi Jason Klein, Executive Director
Born in New York City, raised in Montclair, New Jersey, college in NYC, graduate school in Philly, Jason has ventured to his fourth state on the Eastern seaboard.
A graduate of Columbia University, where he wrote a thesis on the experience of Ukrainian-American Christians, he continued his studies at the Reconstructionist Rabbinical College and at Beit Midrash Elul in Jerusalem, Jason spent four years as a congregational rabbi in Long Island, NY, before coming to UMBC in 2006. Jason lives in the Patterson Park neighborhood of Baltimore City.
Jason's particular Jewish interests include text study, liturgy, music, creative rituals, and midrash. He is committed to Israeli-Palestinian peace and justice, inter-movement and interfaith dialogue and collaboration, gender and LBGT concerns, and issues of social justice in general.
If you're interested in learning something new, if you have a new idea that you think UMBC Hillel should support, if you just want to talk (about most anything, in confidence), you can reach Jason at (410) 455-1329 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cara Behneman, Assistant Director
Cara joined the UMBC family in the fall of 2009 as our Jewish Student Life Coordinator
Cara grew up south of Annapolis, Maryland. She attended University of Maryland College Park for her Bachelors degree in Women's Studies. After working at Maryland for a year, she continued her education at North Carolina State University where she achieved a Master of Science in Higher Education Administration.
Cara has worked in many areas of higher education, including a year with Hillel at University of Arizona, and she absolutely loves working with students. She loves dinosaurs, baseball and pumpkin-flavored delights. Cara is passionate about issues around the environment, human rights, and women's equality. She enjoys all types of Jewish learning. If you're interesting in getting together for coffee or just to chat, you can reach Cara at (410) 455-2637 or by email at email@example.com.
- UMBChillel: Happy #Shavuot! http://t.co/nGdohL8h9W
- UMBChillel: I posted 30 photos on Facebook in the album "Asking, Speaking, and Pursuing" http://t.co/irXmVOesX6
- UMBChillel: Super Shabbat / Dr. Hrabowski Wednesday evening / Internships for Next School Year / Gift of Life Bone Marrow... http://t.co/h1MJtvqHMT
- UMBChillel: Super #Shabbat / Dr. #Hrabowski Wednesday evening / Internships for Next School Year / Gift of Life Bone Marrow Driv http://t.co/UeXTM6731W
- UMBChillel: Religious Queeries / Where do you Give? / Internships for Next School Year / Israel's 65th / Annual Meeting... http://t.co/ysROvU7Mq4